0345 470 0014 Monday-Friday, 9am - 7pm Saturday, 9am - 1pm
Make a Claim0345 370 0008 Open 24/7
toggle menu

Frequently Asked Questions


You must be at least 17 years old and you must hold a valid UK Motor Car Provisional driving licence in the same category as the vehicle to be insured.

You can cover more than one vehicle providing you purchase a separate policy for each vehicle. Log into your existing account, and click on "Get a Quote".

You can drive any vehicle providing a policy has been purchased in your name for the vehicle, its value is under £20,000 and meets the underwriting criteria.

Yes. To insure a vehicle you own you must be the registered keeper named on the V5 vehicle registration document.

If you are the registered keeper/owner of the insured vehicle, the policy offers the level of insurance as detailed on your schedule and policy document and therefore does not need to be insured elsewhere.

If you are not the registered keeper/vehicle owner then the policy only covers the vehicle whilst you are undergoing driving tuition, therefore, the vehicle owner must have the vehicle insured elsewhere.

The learner driver policy covers the named policy holder only.

You must be accompanied by a driver of over 21 years of age, who has held (and still holds) a valid full UK/EU/EEA Licence in the same category as the vehicle you’re driving for at least 3 years.

You can purchase your insurance policy in full by debit or credit card.

Yes. Providing you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Yes. A change of vehicle or any other amendment is subject to an insurance intermediary service fee. If you have a live policy please login to your online account to view your Terms of Business Agreement which outlines the Mid-Term Adjustment fees applicable to you. If you don’t have a live policy you can access the current Terms of Business Agreement under the Main Menu heading on the website home page.

Please refer to your insurance schedule.

No. Accident and incidents occurring when undergoing tuition are reported to and handled by Collingwood Claims.

The provision of a courtesy car is only available on the Comprehensive level of cover. If a valid claim is made under the policy and the insured vehicle is to be repaired by one of our approved repairers you will be provided with a courtesy car subject to availability for the duration of the repairs.

If a courtesy car is provided under the policy only you can drive the courtesy car.

The Collingwood Policy does not offer cover to drive on a Motorway at any time

You must notify us as soon as you have passed your practical driving test. Your policy will be cancelled.

If your policy is at least one Calendar Month (30 days), and you cancel within the 14 day cooling-off period you will receive a refund of the premium you have paid less the days you have been on cover.

If you cancel after the cooling-off period no refund of premium will be given.

Please visit the DVSA using the following link to obtain your driving licence check code.

- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-share-your-driving-licence-information

Then, please send it along with photocopies of the front and back of your licence to us using one of the following methods:

- Upload these documents by following the instructions in your online account

- Email to dl@collingwood.co.uk
- By post to Collingwood Learners, Collingwood House, Earl Grey Way, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE29 6AR

Please remember to log into your online account to purchase further cover, using your Username and Password, otherwise we will request that you provide your licence every time you purchase a policy.

Unfortunately due to differences in licensing rules, we are unable to provide insurance for you. You may however choose to swap your licence for a UK issued driving licence. This may allow us to provide insurance. (Subject to underwriting criteria)

If they hold a Comprehensive Learner Driver policy and have an accident whilst driving under correct supervision in your vehicle whilst holding a valid Learner Driver policy for that vehicle, the claim will be made against their policy - not yours.

No. They must be accompanied by a driver over 21 years of age, who has held (and still holds) a valid full UK/EU/EEA Licence in the same category as the vehicle they’re driving for at least 3 years.

You can contact us by calling 0345 470 0014 (Monday - Friday, 9am - 7pm, Saturday 9am - 1pm) or by email learners@collingwood.co.uk