Learn to drive in a friend or family member’s car with zero risk to their No Claims Discount, or learn in your own car, and start to earn your own No Claims**.

Plus you can choose to pay monthly or annually, and there’s No Black Box & No Curfews!

Get covered to drive your own, or someone else’s car

Insuring your own car

If you own your car as a provisional licence holder, we let you choose from various levels of cover and you can have your parent or spouse as a named driver for free. Plus, you can start building your first years No Claims Discount!

Insuring Someone Else’s Car

This policy is designed to sit alongside the existing policy of the car you’re learning to drive in. Get insured for private practice in a friend or family members car with no risk to their No Claims Discount.

What are the benefits of annual learner driver insurance?

Annual learner driver insurance can be both a flexible and hassle-free way to help learner drivers.

That’s because instead buying a short term insurance policy and topping up every time you need to practice, an annual policy can cover you right up until you pass you driving test. In addition, you can also pay monthly or annually and if you’re covered for 10 months on your own vehicle you could start to earn a no claims discount, potentially reducing future insurance costs.

Flexible Payments
Pay monthly or annually. The choice is yours.
Accelerated No Claims Bonus
Build your no-claim Bonus before you start to drive on your own. Subject to 10 months uninterrupted, claim free cover.
Easy to Cancel
Passed your test? Let us know, and we could offer you a competitive New Driver Insurance policy.
Choose Your Cover
Unlike other providers we let you choose from Fully Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft or Third Party Only cover types.

Our customers really do love us!

We are rated Excellent on Trustpilot, which makes us one of the highest rated car insurance providers. Our teams don’t work to sales targets, instead, they are rewarded for delivering excellent customer service!

Annual Insurance Not Quite What You’re Looking For?

If an Annual insurance policy isn’t quite what you were looking for, why not check our Short-term Learner Driver Insurance, available from 28 days and could cost as little as £1.04p/day*.

Why choose Collingwood for your annual learner driver insurance?

Award-Winning Insurance
Collingwood won the 2019 & 2020 award for 'Customer Service Champion' at the Insurance Choice Awards and the DIA (Driving Instructor Association) award for Best Young Driver/Learner Driver Insurance Provider three years running.
Supporting Driver Development
We work with organisations such as the DIA and MSA (The Motor Schools Association of Great Britain). We've also supported the Big Learner Relay for Children In Need for the past five years.
Quick Quotes for Learners
Fill in our online form and you may be able to get an instant quote for your short-term learner insurance. If you're happy with it. You can quickly purchase cover and start driving.
Upgrade Cover When You Pass
Once you've passed let us know, we'll cancel your learner cover then look to provide you with a quote as a new learner, which could be activated on the same day.

Annual provisional car insurance FAQs

Learn more about annual learner driver insurance with our frequently asked questions below. Alternatively, check out our detailed FAQs page, or visit In The Driver’s Seat blog for guides, tips and news.

How much is it to add a provisional driver to car insurance?

The cost of provisional car insurance differs depending on a range of factors, including age of the learner driver, vehicle type, vehicle age and more. Our annual insurance rates for learners start from as little as 64p per day**, and we always strive to deliver the best value for money possible.

How much is provisional insurance in the UK?

Provisional car insurance rates in the UK differ. To find out how much your cover could cost, use our simple quote calculator.

Do I need car insurance with a provisional licence?

While you must be insured to drive a car, even if you’re learning, whether you need to arrange it yourself depends on how your are learning. If you are only receiving lessons from an approved driving teacher or centre, then they must arrange learner driver insurance for you – it’s typically built into the cost per lesson, but if you don’t know, make sure you check this with your driving instructor.

If you want to practice outside of lessons, you must be insured to drive, either in your own car or that of a friend or family member. That’s when it can be a good idea to arrange provisional car insurance.

How does provisional car insurance work?

Provisional car insurance works by covering you when you’re behind the wheel of your own car or that of another persons, whose vehicle must be listed on the policy.

Learner driver insurance works differently depending on the level of cover you have arranged. It must include the third party insurance, which covers damage to another person, their car or their property in the event of an accident. This can be boosted by fire and theft cover which covers loss and damage in those situations, or comprehensive cover, which covers all the above, plus any damage to the car that is purely your fault.

Are there any restrictions on when I can drive?

Unlike other insurers we don’t place a curfew on when you can drive. As long as you are accompanied by a driver over the age of 21 who has held a suitable full UK (or EU, Switzerland, Liechtenstein or Iceland) driving licence for three years or more. This applies whether your learner car insurance covers you driving your own car or another person’s.

Can you learn to drive as a named driver?

You can learn to drive as a named driver, but the owner of the car should be aware that their No Claims Bonus could be at risk. Provisional car insurance from Collingwood typically protects the car owner’s No Claims Bonus if a learner is driving the car and has an accident.

Do I need a driver to accompany me?

Yes you do. They must be qualified to drive the car, over 21 years of age and hold a full UK, EU, Switzerland, Liechtenstein or Iceland driving licence. You must also make sure that any vehicle you are learning to drive, whether yours or someone else’s, has L plates displayed on the front and back of the car.

What if I fail my driving test, will I still be covered?

If you fail your driving test, your annual provisional car insurance will still cover you, as long as less than a year has passed since the policy was purchased. Your cover will only cease when you pass your driving test, or when it reaches the point of renewal.

*TrustPilot rating and 70p per day is correct as of 28.09.21.
**Subject to terms and conditions and underwriting criteria.