When learning to drive it’s likely that in addition to driving lessons, you will also want to do private practice in a friend or family members car. In order to do this, you’ll need to make sure that you are correctly insured to drive the car.

In this article, we’ll be looking at the learner driver insurance rules and what provisional licence holders need to be aware of when partaking in private practice.

Things to Consider Before You Buy Insurance

Before you buy a provisional insurance policy, you will need to ensure you are legally allowed to take to the roads. We recently discussed this in our provisional licence guide, but the law requires the learner driver:

  • Be at least 17 years old
  • Have a valid provisional driving licence (for the type of vehicle being used – manual or automatic)
  • Ensure the vehicle is in a safe and legal condition
  • Meet the legal minimum eyesight standards
  • Only drive when supervised by a person who is at least 21 years old and has a valid driving licence, which they have held for at least three years (At Collingwood, we require the supervising driver to be over 21 years of age and hold a valid full UK/EU/EEA Licence in the same category as the vehicle you’re driving for at least 3 years)
  • Put L Plates (or D Plates in Wales) on the front and rear of their vehicle
Learner Driver Insurance Rules – Provisional Insurance Explained
What are the Learner Driver Insurance rules?

The Rules for L Plates

It’s important to be aware of the rules regarding the use of L plates. If you use the wrong type of plate, you could get up to 6 penalty points, which is definitely not the best way to start your driving life. L Plates must

  • Be used when learning to drive in the UK
  • Red ‘L’ on a white background
  • Should measure 178mm x 178mm

In Wales, a ‘D’ plate must be a red D on a white background also measuring 178mm x 178mm.

What Does Learner Driver Insurance Cover?

Learner driver insurance policies can offer:

  • Options for the 3 major types of motor insurance cover (third party only, third party fire and theft, comprehensive)
  • An option to add an additional driver
  • Optional add-ons including windscreen cover, courtesy car and audio equipment cover
  • Can run parallel to full insurance on somebody else’s car

Here at Collingwood Insurance, we offer all of these options as add-ons for our annual policies*

Learner driver insurance, like full insurance will show in ‘AskMID’ (the motor insurance database) so if you think you can get away with driving while uninsured during a quick 1 hour practice session, you’re wrong!

Get Insured

If you are looking at getting covered as a learner driver then look no further. Collingwood offers provisional insurance cover that will cover you for a year. When you pass your test you’ll get a pro-rata refund on the remaining cover and you could build your no-claim Bonus before you start to drive on your own. Subject to 10 months uninterrupted, claim free cover.

Get a quote

*dependent on the level of cover chosen and add-ons selected. T&C’s apply.