Convicted & Points Van Driver FAQ

Who is the insurance provider?

Your insurance is with Collingwood Insurance Company Limited.

How old do you need to be to take out insurance?

You must be aged between 25-65 years old.

Are there any driving convictions you won’t insure?

We currently cover all motoring convictions. Additional rules and criteria apply, please contact us 0345 470 0010 to check if you are eligible.

I have a driving ban, will you insure me?

Yes, providing your ban has expired and your licence has been reissued by DVLA. Additional criteria will apply, please contact us on 0345 470 0010 to discuss further.

Can I insure with you while I have a prosecution pending?

No, we can only provide a quotation once you have your conviction code.

Can I add additional drivers to the policy?

Yes, you can add up to 4 additional drivers, subject to underwriting criteria.

Do I have to wait until I get my licence back before I take out a policy?

If your ban was on or after 1st June 2013 you must wait until your new licence has been issued by the DVLA before you can take out a policy. If your Ban was before 1st June 2013, once you have applied for your licence, you can apply for a quotation. If you have had to re-sit your test within the last 12 months you will not be eligible for this insurance.

Can I drive any vehicle?

No, this policy will only cover the vehicle on your insurance certificate.

Am I covered to drive abroad?

You must notify us if you are planning to take your van abroad as restrictions will apply. Please contact us on 0345 470 0010.

What levels of cover do you provide?

Cover is available on Comprehensive, Third party fire and theft or Third party only basis.

What excesses apply?

Please refer to your insurance schedule.

How do I get my insurance documents?

Your documents can be accessed by logging on to your online account at using the username and password sent to you. If you need assistance, please contact us on 0345 470 0010.

What documents do I need to provide?

It's a condition of the policy that you provide a copy of the following documentation: Full UK driving licence Photocard front for you and any named drivers, DVLA driving record for you and any named driver and Proof of No Claims Bonus if declared.

How do I send you a copy of my Driving Record?

access the website
select View Now
input your driving licence number
input you National Insurance number
input your postcode where your driving licence is registered
read the acknowledgement and tick the box
select View now
select the 'share your licence information' tab
get a licence check code
You can then open and/or save your driving licence record
You can send a copy of your photo card and driving record using either of the following methods:

Email to
By post to, Collingwood House, Earl Grey Way, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE29 6AR
Alternatively, if you prefer you can send the copy of your photo card licence and call us with your temporary code and we can obtain a copy of your driving licence record. Remember your code is only valid for 21 days and can only be used once.

What do I do if I have an accident?

We must be notified of every accident or incident regardless of fault by contacting Collingwood Claims on 0345 370 0008. To qualify for a reduced excess you must report the incident within 24 hours and use our approved repairer network.

Can I insure a van I don’t own?

No, you can only insure a van owned by you or where you are registered keeper if under a Private Lease which is under your name. Please contact us to discuss further on 0345 470 0010.

Can I make changes to my policy?

Yes, you can change the details on your policy. Please contact us on 0345 470 0010. Please note you cannot increase the level of cover (for example you can’t increase from TPO to TPFT or Comprehensive) during the policy year unless a change of vehicle is also taking place. Changes may be subject to a £25.00 administration fee in addition to an additional premium.

Can I use my van for business use?

You can use your van in connection with your business for carriage of own goods. The policy does not cover any loss or damage to any tools or personal belongings.

Can I insure a car/van that has been written off?

In order for us to confirm if this is acceptable, please contact us on 0345 470 0010.

Can I cancel my policy?

Yes, you can cancel your policy at any time. If you cancel before the policy has started you will receive a full refund.

You have a 14 day cooling off period, if you change your mind you will receive a pro-rata refund deducting the charges for time on cover and your non-refundable intermediary fees.

After the cooling off period, you will receive a pro-rata refund deducting the charges for time on cover, your non-refundable intermediary fees and a cancellation charge.

The non-refundable intermediary fees and cancellation charges are outlined in the terms of business agreement.

How can I pay for my policy?

You can either pay for your insurance in full in one payment by credit or debit card or spread the cost with a deposit plus 9 monthly instalments by direct debit, please note a charge for credit will apply and you must be 18 years or over.

Does my policy include windscreen cover?

If you have a Comprehensive level of cover front windscreen repairs are free of charge. Front windscreen replacements a £250 excess applies, however, if you choose to use our approved windscreen repairer the excess will be reduced from £250 to £150. Please note there is no cover for any other glass. A maximum of 2 windscreen claims are covered in one period of insurance.

Can I insure more than one vehicle?

Yes, you would require another policy.

I need to get my vehicle out of the impound, what do I need to do?

You will need to contact us on 0345 470 0010.

What are your opening hours?

We are open Monday – Friday, 9 am – 7 pm and Saturday 9 am – 1 pm.

Who do I contact if I have any further questions?

You can contact us by calling 0345 470 0010 or email

Do you provide cover for tools?

Your policy allows you to carry your own tools but no cover for loss or damage to your tools or belongings is covered under this policy.

What types of van will you cover?

We do not cover Crew Cabs, Tippers, Extended or Double cab vans. We do not cover any van over 3.5 tonnes.

Please contact us on 0345 470 0010 to check if your van is eligible.

Can I get my van insured under my company name?

We do not offer quotations in a company name. The main driver must be the policyholder, the owner (or leaseholder if owned by a private lease company) and registered keeper of the vehicle.

To insure my van with you, do I need to be the main driver?

Yes, you are required to be the main driver of the vehicle.

Do you cover me if I only use my van for personal use and not for business?

No, this policy covers carriage of own goods for business.

Will my policy allow me to drive someone else’s van?

No, your van insurance will only cover you for the insured van. This is the van that will appear on your insurance certificate.

Can I insure a leased van?

Yes, provided that the lease is in your name

Can I transfer my No Claims Bonus from my private car policy?

No, you can only use No-Claims Bonus that has been earned in your name on a car or van insurance policy in the UK within the last 2 years, or if you have a current No Claims Bonus with Collingwood Insurance you can move it to the van policy.

Can I modify my van?

Please contact us on 0345 470 0010 and we can confirm if the modification is acceptable.