Over 50’s Car Insurance FAQ

Who is the insurance provider?

Your insurance is with Collingwood Insurance Company Limited.

How old do you need to be to take out insurance?

The Policy Holder must be aged between 50 and 75 years. You can add up to two additional drivers. An additional driver must be aged between 50 and 75 years.

Can I add additional drivers to the policy?

Yes, you can add up to two additional drivers. An additional driver must be aged between 50 and 75 years.

I have a driving ban, will you insure me?

Unfortunately not but we may be able to offer cover on our specialist insurance. Visit www.motorinsurance.collingwood.co.uk or call us on 0345 470 0010 for a quote.

Can I insure a car that has been written off?

Please contact us on 0345 646 5050 before buying a policy and we can confirm if this is acceptable.

Can I modify my car?

Please contact us on 0345 646 5050 before buying a policy and we can confirm if this is acceptable.

What are your opening hours?

We are open Monday – Friday, 9 am – 7 pm and Saturday 9 am – 1 pm.

Am I insured to drive someone else’s car using this policy?

This policy does not cover you to drive other cars.

Am I covered to drive abroad?

You must notify us if you are planning to take your car abroad as restrictions will apply. Please contact us on 0345 646 5050

What levels of cover do you offer?

Cover is available on Comprehensive basis only.

What excesses apply?

Please refer to your insurance schedule for your compulsory excess. The own damage excess is increased by £250 if repair work is not undertaken by our Approved Repairer and separately by £250 where incidents are not reported within 24 hours of their occurrence. The windscreen replacement excess above is increased by £100 in respect of replacement work not undertaken by our Approved Repairer and is limited to £225.

Does my policy include windscreen cover?

If you have a Comprehensive level of cover windscreen cover is included. Windscreen repairs are free of charge. For windscreen replacements a £150 excess applies, however if you choose to use our approved windscreen repairer the excess will be reduced by £50 to £100. Please note there is no cover for any other glass.

Does my policy cover me for business use?

No, the policy does not cover for business use. You have the option for Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting to a permanent place of work.

I have more than one occupation can I still take out the policy?

You may still be able to take out a policy, please contact us on 0345 646 5050 to discuss your requirements as underwriting criteria must be met in relation to your occupation(s).

How can I pay for my policy?

You can either pay for your insurance in full, by credit or debit card or spread the cost with a deposit plus 9 monthly instalments by direct debit, please note a charge for credit will apply.

Can I cancel my policy?

Yes, you have a 14 day cooling off period, if you change your mind in this time you will receive a pro-rata refund, excluding our non-refundable intermediary fees of £68.50. After the cooling off period, you have the right to cancel the policy at any time, you will receive a pro-rata refund, excluding our non-refundable intermediary fees of £68.50 and £30.00 cancellation charge.

What do I do if I have an accident?

We must be notified of every accident or incident regardless of fault by contacting Collingwood Claims on 0345 370 0008.

Can I change the details on my policy?

Yes you can change the details on your policy. Please contact us on 0345 470 0010. Please note you cannot increase the level of cover (for example you can’t increase from TPO to TPFT or Comprehensive) during the policy year unless a change of vehicle is also taking place.

What documents do I need to provide?

You are required to send us a copy of your Driving Licence Photocard and DVLA Driving Record for both yourself and your named driver if applicable. We also require proof of any No Claims Discount.

The quickest way to do this is to take a photograph using a smart phone and email to Carinsurance@collingwood.co.uk Alternatively you

can post a copy to us at:
Collingwood Over 50’s Insurance
Collingwood House, Redburn Court, Earl Grey Way, North Shields, NE29 6AR

How do I obtain my DVLA driving record?

To assist you in downloading your DVLA driving record, we have created the below instructions.

Before you start

You will need to follow the information in order to complete this process:

Driving licence number (section 5 on the front of your driving licence photo card)

National insurance number (frequently found on payslips, HMRC documents)

Postcode found on the driving licence photo card

1. To start please visit the link to the DVLA website: https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number

2. Enter the required information.

3. You must tick to acknowledge that you and/or any named driver are happy for this service to be used.

4. Please select ‘View Now’

5. You will then be presented with 4 tabs, containing headings of:

Your Details

Vehicles You Can Drive

Penalties And Disqualifications

Share your licence information

6. Generate a temporary code online by selecting the 4th tab which says “Share your licence information” and select the “Get a code”. Please note this code is case sensitive, only valid for use once and expires after 21 days.

7. You now have 3 options:

Email the code to us as along with your own and/or named driver, driving licence number, or

Telephone us on 0345 646 5050 with your own and/or named driver driving licence number, or

Select ‘print or save a driving summary’. This will open a new window containing your DVLA driving record. You will then need to save it prior to sending to us.

You can send copies of the documents required or the code using either of the following methods:

By Email: CarInsurance@collingwood.co.uk

By Post: Collingwood Over 50’s Insurance, Collingwood House, Earl Grey Way, North Shields, NE29 6AR

How do I access my Insurance Documents?

All of your documents are saved in your online account. You can view and print your documents including your Certificate of Insurance. You can access your account by clicking My Account from the top right of this page. If you have forgotten your login details you can obtain a username reminder and reset your password.

My Licence was issued in Northern Ireland, can I have a policy with you?

Unfortunately due to differences in licensing rules, we are unable to provide insurance for you. You may however choose to swap your licence for a UK issued driving licence. This may allow us to provide insurance. (Subject to underwriting criteria)

Who do I contact if I have any further questions?

You can contact us by calling 0345 646 5050 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 1pm) or email CarInsurance@collingwood.co.uk

Can I protect my No Claims Discount?

Yes, as long as you have at least 1 year bonus currently and have had no more than 2 fault accidents within the last 3 years. This will be provided free of charge.