Learner drivers on motorways

Motorway Driving Demystified

The news rules came into effect on 4th June 2018, allowing learner drivers in a dual-control car with L-plates to now practice driving on motorways in England, Scotland and Wales under the supervision of an approved driving instructor. This is to ensure you as a learner driver know how to use the motorways safely. Before this, you were only able to gain experience once you passed your practical test or by doing the Pass Plus Scheme (ask your approved driving instructor).

Why have the changes been made?

The changes are being made to allow learner drivers to:

  • get broader driving experience before taking their driving test
  • get training on how to join and leave the motorway, overtake and use lanes correctly
  • practice driving at higher speeds
  • understand motorway specific traffic signs
  • understand what to do if a vehicle breaks down on a motorway
  • improve their confidence to drive on the motorway unsupervised after passing their driving test

It’s up to you!

The first thing you need to remember is that motorway driving is not mandatory when undergoing tuition with your approved driving instructor and is not included in your practical driving test. You should only do it when you feel confident and your instructor will only ask you when they feel you are ready and able.

The change only applies to learner drivers of cars. Learner motorcyclists won’t be allowed on motorways.

What Car?

Our learner driver policies do not cover vehicles with dual controls, as dual controls are mandatory when undergoing tuition on a motorway it is essential that you use your approved driving instructor’s car for this*. So no lessons with Mum and Dad on the motorway.



What should you expect in a motorway lesson?

This, on the most part, will depend on you and your instructor. He/she will tailor the lessons so it is relevant to your needs. It helps to discuss the route you are planning to take. It may be worth looking at where your first solo motorway drive will be once you’ve passed your test. This could be on route to a concert or your drive to university. You can use this practice to make sure you’re ready to do it on your own.

Doing it differently.

This is also an opportunity to look at how you drive differently, using extra lanes, getting used to motorways merging, exiting on the right-hand side and what it’s like to be overtaken while you are overtaking another vehicle. If you’re driving on a motorway your probably doing a long journey and will need to learn how to plan for regular breaks and to recognise when your concentration levels dip.

If you are ready to gain extra private practice to build your overall confidence in readiness for a motorway lesson with your instructor (in their dual controlled car)*. Then why not get a quote and see how much you could save insuring your own or someone else’s car† to learn in?

*Please note that Collingwood Insurance Services UK Limited (CISL) do not cover vehicles with dual controls and as such your vehicle cannot be used for motorway lessons. † Terms and conditions apply.