Learner Driver FAQ’s

Accidents & Claims

How to make a claim?

We’re sorry you’re in this position, however, please contact our Claims department on 0345 370 0008 who will be able to help you.

Do I get a courtesy car if I have an accident?

If you have our Comprehensive level of cover with Collingwood Learner Driver insurance, then a courtesy car will be available.  If a valid claim is made under the policy and your car is to be repaired by one of our approved repairers you will be provided with a courtesy car subject to availability for the duration of the repairs.

Who can drive the courtesy car?

As the policyholder with Collingwood, you are the only person authorised to drive the courtesy car.

What happen if my car breaks down?

If you have AA breakdown cover when starting your annual policy please contact the AA directly on 0800 048 2038 who will be more than happy to help.

What do I do if I’ve just had an accident?

We hope you’re ok and as soon as is reasonably possible, please contact our claims department on 0345 370 0008 who will be able to help you further.

Can I cancel my policy if I have an open claim?

You’ll be pleased to hear you can.   Our claims department will still continue to handle any ongoing claims. You can contact them on 0345 370 0008 if you have any further questions.

What happens if I crack my windscreen?

Windscreen cover is only available on an annual policy with a comprehensive level of cover. Please call our approved repairer, Nationwide, on 0800 877 8682 who will be able to quickly sort this out for you.

What happens if I hit an animal whilst driving?

We hope you’re both okay, and please contact our claims department on 0345 370 0008 who will be able to help you further.

Do I have to pay an excess?

On our annual policies the standard excess is £100. Replacement windscreen cover is included on annual comprehensive cover only and the excess for that is also £100.  On short term policies the standard excess is £350, which is reduced by £100 when using the insurers approved repairer network.

Can I change my payment date?

Unfortunately, once your payment date is fixed, it cannot be changed.

How will my car be repaired following an accident?

If you contact the claims department on 0345 370 0008 they will be able to help with your claim.

I have a Learner Driver policy to drive someone else’s car – if I have a crash does it affect their No Claims Bonus?

If you, unfortunately, have an accident while driving someone else’s car that is covered by Collingwood Learner Driver Insurance, the good news is that this will not affect the owner’s No Claims Bonus.