Short-Term Learner Driver Insurance FAQ

When do you require a copy of my Driving Licence record and how do I obtain it?

We will email you to request copies of your driving licence. For information on how to obtain your driving record please visit the DVLA website and follow the instructions on how to obtain/share your driving licence information.

Why do you require both the driving licence photocard and the driving licence record?

The Plastic card provides information on the cardholder i.e. name, date of birth and the address recorded with the DVLA.

The Driving Licence Record provides information on your driving history and any conviction/endorsement which may be held on your record by the DVLA.

Where do I send my driving licence information?

You are able to upload the required documents by logging into your online account. You can also send a copy of your Provisional Driving Licence using either of the following methods:

Email to

By post to Collingwood Learners, Collingwood House, Earl Grey Way, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE29 6AR

I’m only a learner driver, do I have a driving licence record/What is a driving licence record?

As the holder of a driving licence issued in England, Scotland or Wales you will have access to your driving record via the DVLA website. You can access your record or gain an access code by logging into

Can I get cover instantly?

Yes. Once you have completed a quotation you can either save the quote or click “buy now” and proceed to purchase.

Can more than one learner driver be on the same insurance policy?

Each Learner Driver is required to hold their own Insurance policy. However, more than one learner can drive the same car.

I haven’t received my documents, do I need to wait for these before I can drive?

No. Your cover will commence on the date and time you selected. Your documents can be accessed immediately to read or download in your online account.

Can I insure a car I own?

Yes, you can. Please note we do not cover dual control cars or for motorway driving.

Why is my vehicle not showing on the Motor Insurance Database (MID)?

We send the information regarding all new policies to DVLA on a daily basis, however, we have no control over when they upload it.

Can I take tuition and my driving test in my car?

Yes, Collingwood covers both taking tuition and sitting your test in the insured car.

Can a learner driver carry children as passengers in the vehicle?

You may carry passengers whilst taking tuition, however, we would suggest that this may become an unnecessary distraction.

Can I purchase cover to release a car impounded by the Police Authorities?

No. The Collingwood Certificate of Motor Insurance carries an endorsement to prevent the release of an impounded vehicle.

How do I inform you of a change of address?

You can email us with your new address details or call us on the Helpdesk number 0345 470 0014

Can I change the vehicle on my policy?

Yes. A change of vehicle or any other amendment is subject to an insurance intermediary service fee. If you have a live policy please log in to your online account to view your Terms of Business Agreement which outlines the Mid-Term Adjustment fees applicable to you. If you don’t have a live policy you can access the current Terms of Business Agreement under the Main Menu heading on the website home page.

If I have a learner driver policy to drive someone else’s car and I have a crash, will it affect their insurance policy?

No. Any incident that occurs whilst you are taking supervised tuition will be recorded on your Learner Driver Policy and handled by Collingwood.

Does the car need to be insured elsewhere?

If you are the registered keeper/owner of the insured vehicle, the policy offers the level of insurance as detailed in your schedule and policy document and therefore does not need to be insured elsewhere.

If you are not the registered keeper/owner then the policy only covers the vehicle whilst you are undergoing driving tuition, therefore, the vehicle owner must have the vehicle insured elsewhere for the duration of the Collingwood policy.

Can I use the Collingwood Learner Driver policy to tax my car?

Yes – providing you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Can I drive any vehicle?

You can drive any vehicle providing a policy has been purchased in your name for the vehicle, its value is under £35,000 and it meets the underwriting criteria. Collingwood does not offer Learner Driver cover for convertible, cabriolet, SUV, vans or cars fitted with dual controls.

Who is the Proposer?

The proposer is the Learner driver/provisional licence holder.

How old do I need to be to purchase a Collingwood Learner driver policy?

You must be aged 17-65 years and hold a valid UK Provisional driving licence, issued in England, Scotland or Wales.

As the vehicle owner, do I need to have my own insurance policy on the vehicle that the learner driver is insuring?

Yes. As the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle, you must have the vehicle insured in your own name for the duration of the Collingwood Learner driver policy. A “driving other cars” extension, does not qualify as adequate insurance.

As the vehicle owner, must I supervise the Provisional Licence holder if they are driving my car?

No. They must be accompanied by any person over 21 years of age, who has held (and still holds) a valid full UK/EU Licence in the same category as the vehicle they are driving, for at least 3 years.

Will my No Claims Bonus be affected if the learner driver has an accident in my car?

If the Provisional Licence holder has a Comprehensive Policy with Collingwood and they have an accident in your vehicle, whilst driving correctly supervised and within the terms and conditions of the Learner driver policy, the claim would be made against their Collingwood policy – not yours.

I received a pop-up message/yellow box displaying the learners age, does this mean I cannot proceed?

You may proceed by clicking “OK” if the information you have provided is correct.

How many people can drive the vehicle I insure?

The learner driver policy covers the named policyholder only.

Who can accompany me when I drive the vehicle?

You must be accompanied by a driver of over 21 years of age, who has held (and still holds) a valid full UK/EU/EEA Licence in the same category as the vehicle you’re driving for at least 3 years.

How can I pay for my policy?

You can purchase your insurance policy in full by debit or credit card.

What is the insurance excess on the learner driver policy?

Please refer to your insurance schedule.

Does the policy include a courtesy car?

The provision of a courtesy car is only available on the Comprehensive level of cover. If a valid claim is made under the policy and the insured vehicle is to be repaired by one of our approved repairers you will be provided with a courtesy car subject to availability for the duration of the repairs.

Who can drive the courtesy car?

If a courtesy car is provided under the policy only you can drive the courtesy car.

Will this policy cover me to drive on a Motorway?

The Collingwood Policy does not offer cover to drive on a Motorway at any time.

What happens when I pass my test? Am I still covered?

You must notify us as soon as you have passed your practical driving test.

Your policy will be cancelled. If you are aged between 17-25 we may be able to offer you a new policy as a Full Licence holder.

For more information click here or call 0345 565 2944 for a no obligation quotation. *quotes are subject to underwriting criteria.

What happens if I cancel my policy?

If your policy is at least one Calendar Month (30 days), and you cancel within the 14 day cooling-off period you will receive a refund of the premium you have paid less the days you have been on cover.

If you cancel after the cooling-off period no refund of premium will be given.

How to share your driving licence information?

Please visit the DVSA using the following link to obtain your driving licence check code.


Then, please send it along with photocopies of the front and back of your licence to us using one of the following methods:

– Upload these documents by following the instructions in your online account

– Email to

– By post to Collingwood Learners, Collingwood House, Earl Grey Way, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE29 6AR

Please remember to log into your online account to purchase further cover, using your Username and Password, otherwise, we will request that you provide your licence every time you purchase a policy.

My Licence was issued in Northern Ireland, can I have a policy with you?

Unfortunately, due to differences in licensing rules, we are unable to provide insurance for you. You may, however, choose to swap your licence for a driving licence issued in the UK. This may allow us to provide insurance (subject to underwriting criteria).

Who do I contact if I have any further questions?

You can contact us by calling 0345 470 0014 (Monday – Friday, 9 am – 7 pm, Saturday 9 am – 1 pm) or by email

Do I earn No Claims Discount/No Claims Bonus whilst learning to drive?

Whilst you do not earn a traditional No Claims Discount (NCD), following the termination of the policy and having completed at least 10 consecutive months claim free driving, we will provide a letter on a single occasion confirming an entitlement to 1 year NCD for presentation to a new insurer.