Short Term Learner Driver Insurance

With cover available from 28 days and the ability to top up from just 7 days, you only pay for what you need.

Get a Quote
Or log in here




Short Term Learner Driver Insurance That’s Right For You

With Collingwood’s Short Term learner insurance, you can insure your own car against theft or damage whilst learning to drive. If you don’t own your own car, Collingwood can also cover you to drive someone else’s car with no risk to their no-claims discount.

Cartoon Image of a Man at a Driving School

Benefits and Features of Our Short Term Insurance

Depending on your individual needs and circumstances you could find Short Term Learner Driver Insurance is more cost effective than paying for insurance when you’re not learning to drive. Our Short Term policies allow you to have gaps in cover and top up as and when required.

It is important to consider both Short Term and Annual Policies when taking out Learner Driver Insurance. Please note, Short Term Learner Driver policies will become invalid and must be cancelled upon passing your practical driving test.

Accelerated No Claims Bonus*
Build your No Claims Bonus before you start to drive on your own if you manage 10 months' uninterrupted, claim-free cover.

*Subject to terms, conditions and underwriting criteria.
Flexible and Affordable
We offer cover from just £1.70* per day, and you can choose from 28 days up to 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 or 24 weeks, with the ability to top up from just 7 days.

*Price excludes IPT and admin fees.
Choose Your Cover Level
Choose the cover level that suits you. Fully Comprehensive or Third Party Fire and Theft. See further down this page for more information.
Protected NCD
If you’re taking out insurance to drive someone else’s car, their no-claims discount is safe should you need to make a claim.

Can I choose to drive my own car or someone else’s?

Insuring Your Own Car
If you own your car as a provisional licence holder, we let you choose from various learner driver car insurance policies and levels of cover. You can also have your parent or spouse as a named driver, and we let you start building toward your first year's No Claims Bonus too!

Insuring someone else’s car
If you choose to insure someone else's car, a provisional insurance policy will sit alongside the existing policy of the car you're learning to drive in. Our learner car insurance lets you get insured for private practice in a friend or family member's car - a great choice if you're not planning on purchasing a car until after you've passed your test.

Manage Your Policy Through Our App

When you buy a policy, you can download our easy to use app to manage your insurance. Available on Android and iOS devices. You can make payments, top up your short term insurance and access your policy documents.

Why Choose Us?

You have the flexibility to choose a cover that suits you and the option to insure your own, a friend’s or family member’s vehicle. We offer cover until you have passed your practical driving test and make it easy for you to cancel your policy from your personal online account.

Not Many Are So Highly Rated
We are rated 4.9 out of 5 on Trustpilot, which makes us one of the highest rated car insurance providers. Our teams are not given sales targets, they are rewarded for customer service and quality.
Award Winning Insurance
Collingwood won the 2019 Award for 'Customer Service Champion' at the Insurance Choice Awards and the DIA (Driving Instructors Association) award for Best Young/Learner Driver Insurance Provider, three years running.
Supporting Driver Development
We work with organisations such as the DIA (Driving Instructor Association) and MSA (The Motor Schools Association). We’ve also supported the “Big Learner Relay” for Children in Need, for the past five years.