Learner Driver FAQ's


What is an add-on?

An add-on is various optional extras we offer on annual policies only, such as personal accident cover, breakdown cover, key cover and excess protection.   We can add these when you take out a new cover or at renewal.  Please contact our Helpdesk on 0345 370 0008 for further information. 

What’s included in Breakdown cover?

There are two levels of AA Breakdown cover available.  Roadside Assistance costs £37 or Roadside Assistance and Relay which costs £85.  Both include unlimited call-outs. Roadside Assistance offers 24/7 cover for breakdowns over 1/4 mile from home. If the AA can't complete repairs at the roadside, they'll take you and your vehicle to a nearby garage.

Roadside Assistance and Relay includes National Recovery, this provides Roadside Assistance for breakdowns over 1/4 mile from home. If the AA is unable to fix your car or unable to arrange a prompt local repair they'll take you and up to 7 passengers to any single destination of your choice within the UK.

If you cancel your Annual Insurance early for any reason, your AA Breakdown cover will remain in force.  If you breakdown, please contact the AA on 0800 048 2038.

What’s included in Key cover?

Key cover costs £25 and provides you with cover in the event of theft or loss of your car keys or key card, the remote transmitter and central locking interface.  It also covers the cost of replacing affected locks and affected parts of the engine control unit, alarm, and/or immobiliser.   It is sold separately but if you buy it, forms part of your motor policy. Please note that cover is only provided if, at the time of the incident, the keys are in the possession of someone other than you and where that person knows the identity or garaging address of the vehicle.

Key cover will pay a maximum of £500 per single claim and a maximum of £1,500 per 12 month policy period. The excess per claim is £50.

What’s included in Personal Accident cover?

Personal Accident cover costs £5 and covers you and your passengers for up to £15,000 in the event of loss, damage, death or bodily injury caused by a road traffic accident whilst driving or travelling in the car that is insured by Collingwood.   The maximum accumulation limit for any one accident is £120,000. This is sold as a standalone product and will run alongside your Learner Driver Insurance Policy.

Is Legal Expenses cover included in the price?

If, in the unlikely event you are involved in a non-fault accident, the policy includes a Claims Management Service free of charge provided by Winn Solicitors Ltd giving you up to £50,000 legal costs. A success fee may apply.

Can I include add-on’s once my cover has started?

Unfortunately any Add-ons can only be added when you take cover out or on renewal on annual polices only.