Car Insurance FAQs
- Car Insurance
- 1. Who is the insurance provider?More
Your insurance is with Collingwood Insurance Company Limited.
- 2. How old do you need to be to take out insurance?More
You must be aged between 25-65 years old.
- 3. Can I add additional drivers to the policy?More
Yes, you can add up to 2 named drivers to your policy, subject to additional underwriting criteria.
- 4. Can I drive any vehicle?More
No, this policy will only cover the vehicle on your insurance certificate.
- 5. Am I covered to drive abroad?More
You must notify us if you are planning to take your car abroad as restrictions will apply. Please contact us on 0345 646 0107.
- 6. What levels of cover do you provide?More
Cover is available on Comprehensive basis only.
- 7. What excesses apply?More
Please refer to your insurance schedule for your compulsory excess.
Your compulsory own damage excess will increase by £250.00 where accidents/incidents are not reported within 24 hours of the incident and separately by a further £250.00 if the policyholder does not use the insurer approved repairer network. Windscreen excess will be increased by £100.00 if the policyholder does not use the insurer repairer network.
- 8. How do I get my insurance documents?
- 9. What documents do I need to provide?More
It's a condition of the policy that you provide a copy of the following documentation within 28 days of your policy start date:
- Full UK driving licence Photocard (front) for you and any named drivers
- DVLA driving record for you and any named driver
- Proof of No Claims Bonus on the car you are insuring (if declared)
- 10. What is a Driving Record ?More
In 2015 the driving licence paper counterpart was abolished and replaced by an online record. This system holds your driving licence status, what vehicles you are entitled to drive and how many penalty points you have if any.
The information can be viewed, shared or downloaded and saved and removes the requirement to carry a paper counterpart licence. For more information visit the DVLA website https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes
- 11. How do I send you a copy of my Driving Record?More
Please select and follow the link below for full instructions on how to share your driving licence information. https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Alternatively, you can call the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 who will be able to supply a code that you can share with us to allow us to access your information.
Please note this code is case sensitive and must be supplied in the correct format and is only valid for 21 days.
- 12. What do I do if I have an accident?More
We must be notified of every accident or incident regardless of fault by contacting Collingwood Claims on 0345 370 0008. Please be aware you will pay a higher excess if you do not report the accident within 24 hours. Your excess would increase further if you chose not to use the insurer repairer network.
- 13. Can I insure a car I don’t own?More
Yes, you can insure a car owned by a Spouse, Civil or Common Law Partner providing there is no other insurance policy on the car. Please contact us to discuss further on 0345 646 0107.
- 14. Can I make changes to my policy?More
Yes, you can change the details on your policy.
Please contact us on 0345 646 0107.
Changes may be subject to a £25.00 administration fee in addition to an additional premium.
- 15. Can I use my car for business use?More
Yes, providing you have selected that use on your policy, for yourself and including additional insured drivers. Please note business use is limited to driving for travel between the driver's home and permanent place of work and in connection to the driver's business or occupation but does not include cover for any form of selling or commercial travelling.
Please check your certificate for limitations of use or call us on 0345 646 0107 to check.
- 16. Can I modify my car?More
No, modifications are not covered under this policy.
- 17. Can I cancel my policy?More
Yes, you can cancel your policy at any time. If you cancel before the policy has started you will receive a full refund.
You have a 14 day cooling off period, if you change your mind, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the total amount paid, we will deduct the time you were on cover and the intermediary fee you paid when you set up the policy as this fee is non-refundable.
After the cooling off period, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the total amount paid, we will deduct the time you were on cover and the intermediary fee you paid when you set up the policy as this fee is non-refundable.
The non-refundable intermediary fees are outlined in the terms of business agreement.
- 18. How do I cancel my policy?
- 19. How can I pay for my policy?More
You can either pay for your insurance in full in one payment by credit or debit card or spread the cost with a deposit plus 9 monthly instalments by direct debit. Please note a charge for credit will apply. Credit is arranged through Close brothers Premium Finance.
- 20. How do I contact Close Brothers Premium Finance?More
For general enquiries regarding your credit agreement, you can contact Close brothers Premium Finance on 0333 321 8566.
To make a payment through their 24-hour automated payment line please call 0333 321 8568.
- 21. Does my policy include windscreen cover?More
Your policy does include cover for your front windscreen only. Minor repairs are free of charge. For windscreen replacements a £200.00 excess applies, however, if you use our approved repairer, the excess will be reduced by £100.00 to £100.00. Please note there is no cover for any other glass and conditions apply. You can arrange a repair or replacement by calling 0800 877 8682.
- 22. Can I insure more than one vehicle?More
Yes, you would require another policy.
- 23. I need to get my car out of the impound, what do I need to do?More
You will need to contact us on 0345 646 0107
- 24. What are your opening hours?More
We are open Monday - Friday, 9 am - 7 pm and Saturday 9 am - 1 pm.
- 25. Who do I contact if I have any further questions?
- 26. Can I insure a car that has been written off?More
In order for us to confirm if this is acceptable, please contact us on 0345 470 0107.